NCAA College Football Week 9 RecapSaturday, October 27, 2012 22:41
A look back at Week 9 of the 2012 NCAA College Football Season.
I have not been alone in questioning Notre Dame’s legitimacy all season. Too many years of the pollsters and so-called pundits anointing the Fighting Irish as being back only to see them fall flat again, coming off a respectable but not spectacular 8-5 2011 campaign, why were we to believe that this year would be any different?
But after marching into Norman, OK, and putting the #8 Oklahoma Sooners 30-13, I am finally willing to buy that the now 8-0, 5th ranked Fighting Irish are officially back.
But Notre Dame’s legitimacy is not the only noteworthy thing we learned in Week 9:
- The #3 Kansas State Wildcats are also for real. K-State’s showdown with the #14 Texas Tech Red Raiders started off looking like a real doozy of a game, with Tech jumping out to a 10-3. AFter that…the game was all Wildcats, with Kansas State routing Texas Tech 55-24 and leaping out to a two-game lead in the Big 12.
- Week 9 featured two other Top 25 match-ups, featuring four teams from the SEC all in the Top 11. Predictably, the #1 Alabama Crimson Tide made mincemeat of the #11 Mississippi State Bulldogs 38-7. The other, however, threw a major wrench into the national championship picture, as the #10 Georgia Bulldogs defeated the #2 Florida Gators 17-9. Considering the strength of the SEC, the Gators are by no means out of the national title picture, but today they were completely outclassed.
- I suppose 2011′s most overrated team, the mostly listless but still only one-loss #6 LSU Tigers should be thankful they had the week off to find some heart.
- Never play this game again: #4 Oregon Ducks 70, Colorado Buffalo 14. This game was 56-0 Oregon at half.
- One great story ended with Miami (of Ohio) ending #23 Ohio Bobcats’ undefeated run.
- Alas, the #7 Oregon State Beavers, victims of the biggest upset of the day at the hands of Washington.
- The woeful nature of the Big 10 continued when once again the only bowl-eligible teams in the rankings (#22 Michigan Wolverines and #25 Wisconsin Badgers) both fell. The probation-shackled Ohio State Buckeyes did continue to roll. One really has to wonder who is going to represent the Big 10 in the Rose Bowl–and how poorly that team will be ranked. I’ve said for years that the Big 10 is the most overrated BCS conference. At least everyone agrees that the Big East and ACC are weak.
- With #2 Florida, #7 Oregon State, #11 Mississippi State, #15 Rutgers and #24 Ohio all falling from the ranks of the unbeaten, only six undefeated teams remain: #1 Alabama, #3 Kansas State, #4 Oregon, #5 Notre Dame, #16 Louisville and Ohio State. Cant wait to see the new polls on Sunday.
One Response to “NCAA College Football Week 9 Recap”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.