NCAA College Football Week 7 RecapSaturday, October 13, 2012 23:17
A look back at Week 7 of the 2012 NCAA College Football Season.
Well, Week 7 of the 2012 NCAA college football season had just about everything.
In other words, this Saturday was one of those that remind one why the sport can be great in the face of the ad infinitum news of corruptions, scandals and BS…I mean BCS…honestly, I was right either way: the BCS = BS.
Just some of the wild and wackiness:
- The #15 Texas Longhorns were slaughtered by the #13 Oklahoma Sooners, 63-21, a week after narrowly losing a shootout against the West Virginia Mountaineers, 48-45. As bad as the final score seems, it actually looks good compared to the halftime score of 36-2. You read that right, 36-2. A Top 15 team with a supposedly high-powered offense could only muster a safety in the first half.
- Speaking of #5 West Virginia, high-powered offenses and blowouts…the Mountaineers were stifled by the unranked Texas Tech Red Raiders, 49-14, throttling their national championship hopes and perhaps the Heisman Trophy dreams of quarterback Geno Smith.
- It gets better…West Virginia was not the only Top 5 to fall. The #3 South Carolina Gamecocks dropped to the #9 LSU Tigers, 23-21. My main thought regarding this game is where the heck was this LSU squad the last few weeks? Several lackluster performances finally punctuated by last week’s loss–and now the Tigers show up big time? I wonder what part of that sequence is the most frustrating for head coach Les Miles?
- And then there were the games that were oh, so close…
- The Iowa State Cyclones almost completed back-to-back upsets of Top 25 teams, scaring the #6 Kansas State Wildcats before losing 27-21 (last week the Cyclones defeated the TCU Horned Frogs).
- The #23 Louisiana Tech Bulldogs almost came back from 15 points down against the #22 Texas A&M Aggies in the last 2 1/2 minutes, falling a missed 2-point conversion short, 59-57.
- The Indiana Hoosiers also fell just short a a huge comeback, scoring two touchdowns in the last two minutes to close to within 52-49 of the #8 Ohio State Buckeyes.
Can’t wait for the new polls to be released–expecting a major shakeup!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.