US Open, Stanley Cup Finals & NBA Finals ThoughtsThursday, June 23, 2011 21:04
Thoughts on the recently completed golf US Open, Stanley Cup Finals and NBA Finals.
I Ain’t Sayin’…I’m Just Sayin’…
- NBC felt compelled to offer an apology for editing out the words “…under God” from a sappy patriotism piece before the final round of the U.S. Open. Although, the apology doesn’t tell us exactly what was “edited out” the whack-job zealots in this country tweeted loudly enough to force the semi-apology conveyed on-air by the Peacock network’s Dan Hicks.
- What the hell is this relentless, fanatical obsession with God? The endlessly documented, irrefutable truth of human evolution is that God and religion, via mostly the fanatics who pervert the tenets of doctrine, have been the major causes of death, hatred, and suffering throughout human history.
- It’s almost as absurd as the post 9/11 infusion of war, war-craft, the military or “the troops” into the pre-game agenda of every sporting event. I’m sick of the propaganda. I’m sick of the lies.
- Do you support the troops? Then get off your lazy asses and barrage your Congressional rep with tweets, e-mails, shouts, and letters containing one message…END THE WARS, NOW!
- And, yeah, I already did.
- I watch sports to escape the corruption and hypocrisy our government and society has embraced. I don’t want it shoved down my throat before I eat a fourteen-dollar hot dog.
- BTW ask your representative how many of Congress’s 535 members have a son or daughter with combat experience. You need only one hand to make a well-informed guess.
- Boy, I thought Jim Nantz was the consummate ball-licker when it came to recoronating Tiger Woods after every Tour win, but Dan Hicks fawning over McElroy gives Nantz a run for his money. The entire sports media reflects the same ills of virtually all media. Every major story is hyped and recontextualized to a kind of “pseudo-awesomeness” it does not warrant in a cold, objective and rational analysis.
- Yes, Rory McElroy’s redemption at 2011′s second Major championship was impressive and historic. Congrats to the young phenom’s show of character and immeasurable talent.
- Ya think we could hold off the laughable comparisons to Woods and Nicklaus? History takes time. It doesn’t unfold in three hours on a June Sunday or in a 24-hour news cycle. The kid won a Major, not a triple career Slam.
- Speaking of history, at age 35 Nicklaus had 14 Majors on his resume. Tiger was well ahead of that pace until his recent physical and psychological troubles. Tiger, now 35, has 14 Majors. But, the numbers he has to worry about more are the four knee surgeries and three swing changes his peerless athleticism has forced him to undergo.
- Fortunately for Tiger, Jack didn’t win his 15th Major until age 38. But, for the first time since comparison charts showed the age/Majors ratio, the two greats have pulled even. The next three years are crucial if Tiger is to surpass Jack.
- Oh, those wacky Canadians! At least in America, we have the good sense to riot, set police cars on fire and loot random businesses after our teams WIN. When you act like a psychotic hoodlum after your team loses, well, that’s just poor sportsmanship.
- Even creepier were the losers posing in front of burning cars like they were at a Sunday barbecue. Too many twits populating our “e-flooded” world will do anything to get their 15 seconds of fame. Yes, it has shrunk to a precious few seconds.
- Imagine explaining to your grandkids why mommy and daddy were smiling and laughing as they overturned that ambulance…”Well, Junior, we were a little angry, er, I mean, we wanted to be part of a celebrat–er, What I mean to say, we wanted to be more involved in our community’s love for our team…”
- “That’s a relief, Grandpa, I thought you were just being assholes.”
- Which brings us to LeBron James. Over dinner with my son, Michael, I explained that even though it grates on my Dallas-hating psyche, I was rooting for the Mavs because Mark Cuban is a Pittsburgh guy. Michael was pulling for Miami. Why? “I root for anything that prolongs the suffering of Cleveland fans.”
- You gotta love his commitment.
- Prediction: Roger Goodell will announce a new CBA on July 4th. Yes, I can see it now…”The Star-Spangled Banner”…The rockets red glare…white-hot fireworks peppering the twilight sky…Blue Angels doing a fly over…
Oh yeah, those wars are gonna end real soon…
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
2 Responses to “US Open, Stanley Cup Finals & NBA Finals Thoughts”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.